Thursday, January 17, 2008

What?!

My sis and I had lunch the other day at Applebee's (for the Weight Watchers meals). At the table next to us sat two men -- one about 65 and the other looked to be 85 at the least. They were "solving the problems of the world" rather loudly and I couldn't help but overhear their discussion.
65-year-old: "I don't really know who to vote for. Once you take away the women, the blacks, the New York mayor and the Mormon there's not a whole lot left."
85-year-old: "I know."
In the same breath these men started to discuss church, church activities, etc.

WHAT?! I hear people around me say a lot of things. People I respect, people I'm close to. If you happen think along the same lines (the bigotry part, not the political preferences) as these men, please don't ever divulge this to me or, in the words of my pal Izzy from Grey's Anatomy, "I grew up in a trailer and I will literally kick your a$$!". And don't excuse my opinion or language because I'm not sorry. Man, I need a beta blocker now. I shouldn't get myself this wound up this early in the day.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now.
In other news, Charlie's been puking on himself lately. It's pretty gross. He's not sick or anything. It's because he's been trying some new food and gags when he doesn't like it. He did it at Chick-fil-a in the mall the other day. Nice. Speaking of the mall, I take Charlie to the playground there at least once a week. It's too cold to play outside and it gets us out of the house. Anyway, this last time we went there was Charlie, two sets of 1-year-old twins, and a girl that looked 2 or 3. Charlie thought he owned the place and kept fussing at the babies. Then he got mad when one of the boy babies swatted him. I guess I should have done something at this point but Charlie really deserved it. Then that little boy just followed Charlie around and kept patting/hitting him. Charlie got beat on by a one-year-old. I know I should have responded differently but it was all just kind of funny. I think that baby did a good job of putting him in his place.

Andy's been having a lot of fun with Charlie's new blocks. This is a tower he built while talking on the phone to a physician recruiter. I always knew pediatrics was the right field for him!

Charlie had to help Aunt Mel eat her chocolate birthday cake at Carino's. I swear I put a tiny piece in front of him and when I turned back two seconds later this is what he looked like.


Is it just me or does Andy look like The Joker in this picture? See the tube of straws coming from Charlie's cup? They were out of crayons so we had to improvise dinner-time entertainment.



7 comments:

Ashley said...

I always love a good Grey's Anatomy quote. Charlie is precious and never deserves to be hit. :)

April L. said...

Funny story about Charlie! I'm glad he didn't turn around and hit that baby. You need to calm down about those old men. Everyone has the right to his/her own opinion...as STUPID as it may be.

April Carrasco said...

I love it! Oh Amy, I love talking politics with you. You are one of the only sane people left in the world that knows what is important in life ;)!!

Amy said...

Ok, April/sister, I don't care that people have the right to their own opinions when they result in actions that are oppressive towards entire groups. You know I get wound up. We all should.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Martin Luther King, Jr.

the lowe down... said...

Okay, so i knew i liked you...you like the Applebee's WW meals and Politics...it can only get better if i find out you are a Republican. Not a loud-mouth biggot like the two men you referenced, of course!

Ps. Sorry your 1 y.o. got beat down. Maybe we could start toddler wrestling rings...toughen up those boys of ours.....or would that be a bit too "Michael Vick-ish"? ha!

Anonymous said...

I love the video of Andy and Charlie playing ball...too cute!!!!

Kelli Marchbanks said...

Charlie is gettin so big! I can completely empathize with the hitting story. There are days I think Garrett gives Drew just what he deserves!