I'm a Happy Mom!What a great weekend! Friday night Andy took me to one of the nicest restaurants in town (by "nice" I mean that they have cloth napkins and use ingedients like leeks and celery root and charge more than Chili's) for our first "grown up" date in a very long time. I had a truly amazing steak and some awesome french onion soup. We had adult conversation and everything. The first funny thing of the evening (there were more to come) came when I asked for a refill on my diet coke. When the waitress brought it back from the bar I took a drink and immediately realized that this was no ordinary diet coke. Andy took a drink and deduced that it was actually a rum & coke. Five seconds after we let our waitress know about the mistake, a man at the table next to us let her know that his cocktail was missing the rum. It seems that the bartender put the rum in the wrong drink. I thought about complaining that they served a cocktail to a breastfeeding mother in hopes of getting a free dinner, but Andy thought it was best to just say "that's ok" and keep the drink. How generous of him.:)
The interesting thing about this restaurant is that it is at one end of a really cool old building that used to be a hospital. The other parts of the building are used as a clothing store for really skinny cool people and a really strange "art gallery"/apartment complex. I know--really random. We walked around to look at the cool old building because Andy and I are obsessed with cool old buildings, and we ran into some of the tennants. They said that the art gallery was about to close so we should go look around, so that's what we did. As we were walking around this really weird, really cool, and slightly creepy old building I decided that this was the most random thing that we've done in a long time. It was awesome though! We would stumble upon these weird rooms--a music hall built over an old empty swimming pool, a smoking lounge/bar next to what used to be a Santa Fe style restaurant, a fish pond in what used to be the elevator shaft. It was surreal. One of the tennants, who happened to be the goddaughter of the obviously eccentric owner showed us around and told us stories--including a ghost story! Of course it's haunted--it's an old hospital! Anyway, it was a great and completely weird part of the night.
After the stroll through the art gallery/apartment building/haunted house, we went to a little wine bar. I don't like wine but I knew they had a dessert called a chocolate truffle cake and that's really all I needed to know. Now this is where things get very "small world." We walk in and there's a live band. Cool. Wait a minute, "It's that guy!" we both say. The singer is a young guy that we saw the one and only time that we were treated to dinner at "the Club." He sings Sinatra like a pro. What a great band for a date night! We sat down and ordered our dessert and I also got the Te Amo Chocolate Drink. It was espresso and steamed chocolate milk with cayenne pepper--AWESOME! So we're sitting just so giddy over ourselves that we can't stand it when a long-lost friend walked through the door. I jumped up and stormed her. I had just randomly called her that morning to reconnect after several months of being out of touch. After talking to her it turns out that I had her old number and she would have never gotten my message, and here she walks into the last place on earth that she would ever choose to go. She was just there for a friend's graduation party. Wow. It was such a great night!
The next day Andy and I sat at home in our PJs nearly all day just loving on Charlie. He is the sweetest little joy. I can't even begin to imagine what I could ever do to deserve him. He is so amazing. We went to church today and left him in the nursery for the first time. I missed him so we kept him with us during service. We then had an awesome lunch with some friends and headed home. Melody offered to babysit so we could nap--great! We snuggled up on the couch and I napped while Andy watched The Firm. It was great. Now it's 10:30 pm and I'm already getting anxious about tomorrow. It will be Charlie's first time at daycare. I know he'll be fine, but he's so sweet and I don't want him to cry. He only cries now when he needs something so it breaks my heart that he would cry and cry because they don't know what he needs like I do. It makes me sad. Why can't I just lock us up safe and secure in our house and never leave? I bet I cry more than he does tomorrow!
4 comments:
Charlie's so precious! Can I have him?
Charlie is so awesome, can I have him? I thought a little competition for Charlie would be a good thing. Wish we could be there to babysit instead of him going to daycare. OKAY, tell us about the daycare. Is it public or private? He is adorable. We spent some time after church yesterday with awesome Landon and Jordyn, who is still with us since I had a school day off. Alas, we have to take her back later.Sounds like a wonderful date! Who was the friend?Love Ya
that is the cutest picture
That is the sweetest picture! I'm glad you and Andy had such a great evening together!
Post a Comment