Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Boy

The other night Charlie and I headed up to church to serve dinner to a group of homeless women that were staying in the youth building for the week. As I watched Charlie play and laugh with the women I couldn't help but be so thankful that I got to share that opportunity with him. Before we went I talked to him about how God has given us many blessings but that a lot of people don't have nice homes and food to eat like we do. I told him that we were going to church to help a special group of women, to give them dinner and show them that God loves them. He was excited and jumped right in. As soon as the women arrived he started to play and talk with them. Several of them thanked me for bringing him, revealing the pain of not being with their own children and grandchildren. When I look back at those few hours the other night, I can't help but wonder if God just intended for me to be Charlie's cab driver. Anyone could have served food, but Charlie made those women happy at the end of a cold, rainy week. It was certainly humbling.

Speaking of that night, while we were eating an improv theater group showed up. I was in charge of serving the meal but no one had told me to expect performers. Apparently it's something they've done for the group of homeless men so they wanted to perform for the women as well. Charlottesville is quite the granola, veggie-loving town and this group of performers was no exception. When they said they did improv I thought it was comedy so I was somewhat hopeful. BUT when they began their performance I realized that they were on a mission to be serious and somehow enlighten everyone with their extremely awkward performance. They each took turns talking about what home meant to them...one guy complaining that his huge house didn't seem like home because his wife lives there and they're getting a divorce. Another guy complained about how sometimes his car seems like home because he has to travel so much for work. Another woman talked about how she loves to leave her nice, safe home behind and find freedom in riding her bike and staying in a tent. I wanted to throw things and yell "YOU'RE TALKING TO HOMELESS PEOPLE!!". The actors were so nice but their performance was SO inappropriate. As they were moving around doing some weird interpretive movements Charlie said, "Ha ha...they're silly." All the women chuckled because they were thinking the same thing.

One last thing...there was a band in the youth building, and since Charlie and I were the only ones there for a while I let him bang away on the drums. I was pretty impressed!

8 comments:

mom24bows said...

I can only imagine how Charlie brightened the lives of those women! From out of the mouths of babes . . . .

Becky R. said...

What a great experience for both of you. That's crazy about the improv people...sometimes you wonder if people actually think...

April L. said...

What a sweet, heart-warming post about Charlie. I'm sure the poor homeless women would have loved it if you had thrown something at those performers. I'm sure they meant well, but get a clue!

The von Minden Family said...

Great job Charlie:)!!!

Melody Forest McKee said...

HAHAHAHAHA. That video certainly made my day!

Taylor Family said...

That was very innappropriate of them. Thank goodness they had Charlie there to lighten the mood!

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing that experience. What an amazing opportunity to serve and to teach Charlie some important lessons. What a special little man

Jenny Rizer said...

Are you serious about the improv people? what were they thinking? That was an awesome experience for Charlie and a proud moment for mommy! :)