A lot of people tend to wonder what exactly we're doing here in Virginia. I'll break it down.
- In 2005 Andy completed four years of medical school, at which point he became an MD (they get their terminal degree before their training is complete -- weird).
- Then he completed three years of residency in pediatrics, at which point he became what people typically refer to as "a real doctor," meaning that he can be done with his education and practice as a general pediatrician.
- However, if a physician wants to specialize within a chosen field he/she must complete a fellowship. That's what Andy's doing now.
- He's chosen to specialize in Neonatology. That means he only works in the NICU with sick newborn babies.
- During his fellowship he spends three weeks at a time working fulltime "in the Unit." This means that he typically works 10-12 hrs per day in the NICU, then he's on call Monday and Thursday nights and one full weekend a month. We're blessed here in that his call is "home call" so he's able to come home if he's not immediately needed at the hospital. He's still tied to his pager so we can't wander more than 15 minutes from the NICU but it's nice to have him home at least a little.
- When he's not on his three-week stint in the NICU he's on research time. By the end of his fellowship he's required to produce and publish original research. This also entails writing grants and attending/presenting at conferences. In the research aspect, it's very similar to a PhD. During his research time he's still on-call in the NICU at least one day a week and one weekend a month.
- Lastly, he is required to take one lecture course a semester. These courses are designed to teach about the methods/ethics of medical research.
- There are also various meetings, journal clubs, teaching of med students & residents, and other requirements.
- There aren't any fellows on Grey's, but if there were they'd be in the hierarchy between Bailey (cheif resident) and Shepard/Hahn/McSteamy (attendings).
Whew! I'm exhausted just writing this. I honestly don't know how he keeps up. And he LOVES it!
So there you go. Andy was "in the Unit" for the first three weeks on the job but he's been on research time for the last twelve weeks. This week he started back in the NICU full-time. This is clearly evident in that we've seen Andy for only a few hours this week, he's stressed, I'm stressed and the house is out of control. This has resulted in one VERY poorly behaved Charlie. He's been fussy, angry and just plain miserable for most of the week. He was like this in July and August as well, but I chalked it up to the move and all the craziness. He was a little angel once his daddy's schedule slowed down. Now "Mean Charlie" is back, which means that "Mean Momma" is back as well. I hate Mean Momma. She, as Charlie says, "make me so sad." Charlie was in time-out several times last night and got a few spankings (and I always said I wouldn't spank!). Something has to change! Unfortunately, I know it's me. I need to seriously chill out. I've talked to Andy for about two seconds in the last 36 hours and all he said was "we just lost a baby." Wow. If that didn't put things in perspective!
I'm going to really work hard to get this place more organized, have more structure for Charlie, and develop some behavior charts and incentives. Time-out is definitely not working right now and spanking is just me being frustrated. I also need to spend a lot more time getting myself in order -- eating, sleeping, exercising, praying...better! Keeping our family in top shape is my job right now and I don't think I've been taking it very seriously. The good news is that my folks are coming to town tomorrow so that will give us all a little break. Charlie will have undivided attention and I will have some space to get the house together.
In other news, our friend/neighbor Christine has a photgraphy business and she's very talented! Last weekend she took our Christmas card photos. She did an amazing job!
Check out her work: www.christinevancephotography.blogspot.com
This last photo, taken at the Rotunda at UVa, is just like one our good friend Allyson Wall took of us at Texas Tech when Charlie was 10 months old. I love it!





11 comments:
Hang in there Amy. I feel the same way with Landon a lot of times and I hate when "mommy monster" has to come out! I just have to reassure myself that Landon is 2 and hopefully will out grow his "terrible 2's" very soon!!! When we left the park Wednesday afternoon, Landon didn't want to leave, so we sat in the car with him screaming for about 15 mintues until he finally settled down and got in his car seat. Of course Landon got a few spankings in the process. When Landon is upset, then Jordyn gets upset also.
Brad has been in Sugarland for work off and on this past month and will be gone next week again:( The kids seem better behaved when daddy is home.
We will happily take walks with Charlie and give Mommy some mommy time. He'll like sitting on Granddaddy's lap and I will push them both in the wheelchair. I certainly could use the exercise. We are very excited and can't wait to get to VA tomorrow. Airports and all the hassle makes me nervous, but the flying part is exciting. But Chuck and I have one another, so we'll survive. Almost a month with Charlie is a dream come true and to see our little Riley, can't wait. We are so Blessed to have extraordinary daughter, sons-in-law and grandchildren.
Those are great pics! Man, I don't know how you keep up. I also don't know how Andy does what he does going on with a specialty. Wow! Y'all are an amazing family!
I appreciate the analogy to the Grey's hierarchy. That helps put things in perspective. I have always been clueless as to the steps for a med student.
Once you figure out a good structured plan, give us all the inside scoop. I know kids need and appreciate boundaries and I'm hoping you'll pave the way for me.
oh, and I LOVE those wonderful pictures. Your family is beautiful!
You know I feel the same way.
For what it is worth, Carley does really well with incentive charts. She has two going right now. They are great
I have a template of an incentive chart that I made for a student to use at home. I can email it to you as a starting point if you'd like. Poor little Charlie. Poor siser. :(
Wow, I'm glad you posted that, it seems like everyone that is here for medical anything is doing something different and I get really confused. It sounds like you've had a fun ride this past week. I'm sorry, but have fun with your parents, and hopefully you'll get lots of time to relax!
I have always been somewhat confused on the whole fellowship thing so I certainly appreciated the info.
I am sorry Charlie is being naughty. It really is never fun. But we never hear him!
Amy, I can honestly say I know how you feel times 2 and soon to be three! It is tough. Order helps me out a ton. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. We have a "doghouse" (playhouse) at our house if Charlie needs it! You are amazing! I didn't think there was someone who saw their husband less than me! Hang in there, and I can't wait to meet your parents.
Those pics are gorgeous! I am hoping that you guys are having a great visit with your parents and that things settle down a bit. If you need a sanity trip to the suburbs, just let me know :).
Post a Comment