We took Charlie on his first camping trip this past weekend. We packed up our gear, drove 35 minutes down the road to Sherando Lake and had an awesome time! It was BEAUTIFUL!! It got down to 40 degrees at night but we just snuggled up on our air mattress (that's how I camp) under a pile of blankets and we were ok. I love to camp but my idea of camping is mountains and water, not red dirt and cactus. Needless to say, from West Texas we had to drive four hours to the mountains of New Mexico to get any good camping. We're spoiled here! We were also spoiled by a very developed campsite with the cleanest public restrooms and hot showers that I've ever seen just 50 yards away. We weren't exactly roughing it, which was also clearly evident from our 10-minute trip down the road to Target (for more Diet Coke) and Home Depot (for ant spray to kill the hundreds of ants on our tent). Although we had a great time it did make us a little sad thinking about our friends back in Texas that we wish were on the trip with us. If any of you want to go next time it's only about 1500 miles up the road. We'll save you a spot.
Not one fruit or vegetable made an appearance over the weekend. There was, however, plenty of hot dogs, smores, and Easy Mac 'n Cheese.
At night and in the shade it was pretty chilly but the water was actually still decent and the beach was downright toasty. I didn't pack our swim stuff because I thought it would be too cold, but that didn't stop Charlie!
Check out the size of that diaper!
We had some separate "Momma & Charlie" and "Daddy & Charlie" hikes. On mine we hiked to the fishing lake where I fashioned a sweet fishing pole out of a stick and some cattail leaves. I also almost caught a salamander with my bare hands but he was a slippery little sucker!
On Andy's hike they went to "Lookout Rock" which I hear was a crazy rocky trail straight up the mountain. Some boy scouts were kind enough to take a photo while I sacrificed and stayed curled up with a blanket down by our campfire and took a nap. I thought it was pretty selfless of me to stay behind so they could bond. I'm such a good wife and mom.
Charlie only got smacked in the face by a branch once over the course of three hikes so I'd say it was a pretty good time.
Now Blogger hates me and won't let me change the font, format or add more photos so I guess that's all for now. I got some good video so I'll be working on that for another post. Hope you're all enjoying the beginnings of Fall. It's cooling off here, the leaves are changing, and we've got a huge stack of leftover firewood ready to light up our fireplace at any moment. I love Fall!
15 comments:
Yes, we will definitely have to make a trip to Sherando Lake when we have our Sister Camp 2009 next summer in VA.....I LOVE Fall also!!!!
I loved all the pictures. So cute. Charlie's hair is getting so long! He is getting all granola on me.
Oh wow, I'm so jealous...it's beautiful there!! Glad to know there's always a spot saved for us. :)
Though camping in a tent of any sort is not at all up my ally, i am envious of the gorgeous displays of nature in your photos! Looks absolutely beautiful! I'd go out there for a picnic!
Glad y'all are soaking up all that your new neck of the woods has to offer!
you got some really great pics! I know I would have gone crazy.
Charlie just keeps getting cuter, which I don't know how, but love the hair and love the pic of him on the rock by the creek and his arms out, almost telling all of us, "Look at all this beautiful land I get to see."
Those are great pictures Amy Do you have a fancy smancy camera as well?! That looked like so much fun. I wish I was a camper. I'm more of a day tripper, I like my own bed at night.
How fun! Charlie is getting so big!
It looks awesome! I love Fall in the northeast. Do you remember that time in college when we were sitting on the couch and I was cutting out leaves for one of my classes and you commented that leaves were not yellow and red? I am so glad you get to witness a true Fall. There's nothing like it!!!
That's funny Wollser! I remember that! Today I was also thinking about how we'd open all the windows and get it cold inside so we could light a fire. I almost did that today and of course I thought of you. I also drive by "Turtle Creek" subdivision almost everyday. :)
Yes! Remember when we did that and watched A Miracle on 34th Street?!!! So Fun!
What gorgeous scenery! Especially my little guy! I'll bet if you send the picture to the Park Office of Charlie on the rock with his arms outstretched, he would be on the brochure before you know it. He's the PERFECT advertisement for "C'mon over!"
Oh I'm jealous! That looks like the most wonderful getaway! I love Chuck's jacket. He's so rustic.
What a fun family. And thanks for reminding me to sacrafice so Preston and Darron can have bonding time on our next camping trip. Very impressed by the fishing pole you rigged up by the way! :)
Those pictures are GORGEOUS...and as always, your commentary hilarious. I laughed outloud at the shower stories...
I'm so glad yall had a sweet time. Yall are making such precious memories!
Post a Comment