Friday afternoon we headed over to DC for another quick get-away. We stayed at a Hyatt ($50 on Priceline -- awesome!), where Charlie fell on his face and got a fat lip; and we ate at a steakhouse, where I spilled an entire glass of iced tea in my lap. That didn't phase us, though. We still enjoyed our fun family time in the hotel pool and snuggling in the king-size bed. Staying in hotels is just fun.
Saturday morning we went to Bennett's birthday party, and since he's the closest thing we know to a rock star it was pretty exciting. I got lots of time snuggling him, listening to his precious giggles, and getting soaked by his drool. It was great! Charlie had a great time playing with new friends and instigating gross things like digging rocks from horse poop and splashing in stagnant water. I think his curly blond hair and pale blue eyes get him out of a lot of trouble these days. I should really start to closely monitor that trend.
After Bennett's party we hopped on the Metro and headed to the National Mall area. Since we've already done the monuments thing we decided to take a look at a Smithsonian. We chose the Natural History Museum, thinking that Charlie would like to see the animals. As you might have guessed, he spent almost the entire time with his hands over his eyes. It seems that life-size taxidermied animals evoke the same sort of anxiety as clowns and people in costumes. He liked the skeletons, which was my favorite part as well.
Charlie also really liked riding the "train" and going to Dupont Circle in search of amazing yogurt (Mr. Yogato -- thanks for the recommendation, Carolyn!). Charlie had chocolate yogurt with fruity pebbles, which was both tasty and fashion trendy, since the fruity pebbles matched quite nicely with all the rainbow flags on the buildings. Charlie loves flags so it proved to be a nice neighborhood to walk through. Andy and I love old architecture so we enjoyed gawking at the amazing old Victorians and brownstones. We had a great time!
Charlie thought he was big time getting to sit on the sink and brush his teeth. Check out the size of his diaper. We got our money's worth out of that one!
My guys.
Charlie's fat lip.
We thought this display was funny. Can you find us in the photo?
This is a creepy way to display the bird skeletons.
I bet this poor giraffe had no idea that it would be immortalized in this way. Then again, it's in the Smithsonian so that's pretty cool.
When the museum closes and the animals come alive, this guy's the one running around with a lamp shade on his head.
P.S. You shouldn't have to know HTML to get the formatting right on Blogger. They should fix that. GAHHH!!
8 comments:
Charlie,
I am so sorry your mom and dad put you in the silly hat and back sling. As soon as I can I will help you get out of this. Stay strong!
What?! Charlie begged me to wear that hat and get toted around in that backpack! I wish someone would carry me around like that!
Poor Charlie with his fat lip...I guess at least he didn't break his nose like his cousin Landon!
These are such great pics~ thank you so much for driving so far to come to the party! We loved seeing you guys and it was so awesome to finally meet the hilarious Charlie~ he is adorable and cracks me up. We are looking forward to our C'ville trip in a few weeks... hope you guys are having a great week. KJS
What a beautiful family! November seems too long to see our Charlie, but the wait will be worth it. Maybe by the time you come back to Texas, you will have been able to see part of the Smithsonian. We'll have to go when we are there, just pick one that would thrill Charlie, not scare him?
Love the pictures--the one about the mammals with milk is especially hilarious. It was great to see you guys, and I'm glad y'all had fun in DC (and tried Yogato)!
I love priceline AND Dupont Circle. Well, let's be honest. I just love D.C. How fun for you.
I'm so glad my stories are making you laugh! Since I'm a source of entertainment, do you think Andy would mind calling me in a prescription? I've been sick for a week and I want to get well! :)
I kid, I kid.
I always love reading about the Bowman family's adventures. You should be an inspiration to your sister so she'll post more entries.
Post a Comment