Friday night Andy, Charlie and I headed to Richmond (an hour away) for a short family get-away. One of the nurses that Andy works with lives in Richmond and offered to babysit so we took her up on it so we could have a date. The crazy thing is that Naomi and her family are from South Africa and she was a world-class gymnast and her husband a rugby player. She would have gone to the Olympics but South Africa was banned during that time because of apartheid. Crazy. After our date we picked Charlie up and stayed at a hotel so we could explore a little of Richmond the next day before heading home.
We thought it would be fun to go to the children's museum, especially since our membership from the Lubbock museum transferred and we got in "free." Unfortunately, we didn't know that it was Comcast Family Cartoon Day. I've documented on here before that Charlie is deathly afraid of anything in costume, including cartoon characters, clowns and puppets. Poor guy. It was like a convergence of his worst nightmares. There were cartoon characters and clowns all over the place! He spent about 30 minutes shaking and whimpering, with his hands over his eyes and his head buried in Andy's shoulder, before we finally gave up on it and headed downtown. It was a little crazy. We'll go back another day when the cartoons are gone.
Since I had found a Kelty Base Camp child carrier backpack on Richmond craigslist, I arranged for the seller to meet me in the hotel lobby. What a great score! It was never used and still had the tags. I paid $45. SWEET! I love craigslist! Andy loaded Charlie up in it and carried him around downtown Richmond with no problem at all. Charlie loved it, too. I highly recommend one if you can swing it. While downtown we rode a canal boat and learned a little about Richmond's history, which is insanely loaded with important people and events in our nation's past. I can't wait to go back and see all the museums, tours, and neighborhoods. There's a neighborhood called The Fan District that is the most intact Victorian neighborhood in the nation. The houses are amazing and the streets just go on forever with cool restaurants and shops. Anyone else out there been to Richmond? It's so cool! Don't get me wrong, there's still all the normal grossness that comes with any city, but what a fun place to visit.
The best part of our overnight trip was just being together. It was our first time taking a "trip" for no other reason than to go enjoy time with just the three of us. That's pretty crazy considering we travel quite a bit, but travel is always either a trip to visit family or a get-away for Andy and me. This coming weekend we're doing the same thing, but we're going to DC to go to our buddy Bennett's first birthday party. We're so excited! I think we might go to The National Zoo or one of the Smithsonian's Saturday afternoon. How fun is that? I'm glad we're here for three years because it's going to take that long for us to see everything we want to see before heading back to Texas.
Lastly, I want to send a shout out to all the teachers, parents, and school kids out there. What an exciting week! I'm blown away that one niece and two nephews started kindergarten yesterday. Why does time have to go by so fast? I'm going to be a mess when I drop Charlie off that first day. Either that or I'll head to Starbucks to read a book in peace. I'll let you know in three years.

Family pancake time!
Check out the guy in the purple backpack. I couldn't resist getting a picture. He looks like Lt. Dangle from Reno911!
10 comments:
Hopefully we'll see you guys on Saturday!! And have a great time in DC. I highly recommend getting some frozen yogurt at Mr. Yogato in Dupont Circle if you guys are looking for a snack break while sightseeing. Amazing stuff. And definitely try to do the National Zoo. It's a great zoo, and totally free!
Isn't family time fun??!! I am glad the three of you had a great weekend getaway despite Charlie having to see his worst nightmares (AKA the cartoon characters) at the children's museum...poor Charlie!!!
I just have to laugh at the memories poor Charlie's fear of costumed characters. Poor baby, he takes after his Mommy. I'll never forget the trip to the grocery store in Kilgore. Amy, you have heard the story over and over, but probably too young to remember. Two people were dressed in costumes. One was the Planter's Peanut and I think the other was a Twinkie? April loved them and Amy was screaming. Even when Peanut took off her head to show Amy she was just a person didn't help. I had to get groceries, so we made sure we would look around each corner of the next aisle before going down it. Bill and Misti helped to protect our terrified Amy.
I loved hearing Charlie tell me about the cartoons. That kid makes me happy. Good to talk today. Miss you
Hey, you never know who's in a costume. They can't be trusted.
Looks like fun (well except the cartoon part)!! And I'm all about the backpack! :)
That is the sweetest picture of Charlie in Andy's lap and the sickest picture of Mr. Purple Backpack.
That backpack is the coolest thing! And it totally cracks me up that you took a pic of the guy with the purple backpack and short shorts!!!
Poor little Charlie. How cool that you ate at a place called Aunt Sarah's! I'm glad you're getting some fun quality family time. Those are some great memories to have.
Purple back pack guy has some serious legs to show off! Yikes! I still think I like the rain stick guy better.
haha, you're hilarious. The guy in the purple backpack was super cute... I love how Andy is just smiling like normal in that picture. I'm so glad you had a good time in Richmond. You made it sound cooler than I ever thought it was when I was growing up (but now I think it's pretty special). Well I haven't seen you or Charlie in a couple of days, so come on over and let Charlie see his baby, for cryin' out loud!
Post a Comment