I don't have to ask this question very often but I've asked it a lot over the past twelve hours. We're usually pretty spoiled because around 7:30 each night we say "Charlie, let's go night night" and he follows us to his room and walks to his crib. He snuggles his Cheerios blanket, grabs his pacifier and sleeps for 12 hours. Last night I put him down at 7:30 but that didn't stick. I finally got him down an hour later. Then at 2:00 am he started crying and wouldn't stop. I was so tired that I brought him to my bed (for the first time ever!) and he went to sleep. I couldn't sleep with him there though so I tried to put him back in his crib. Didn't work. We went back and forth like this until 7:00 am. So today I thought for sure he'd be so ready for his nap. Nope. He WILL NOT go down. He just screamed for 45 minutes straight. I finally got him out of his crib but he had to bring his blanket and pacifier with him (both are usually restricted to his room). Now he's sitting on the couch watching cartoons. He won't get off the couch, not even to eat lunch. When I turn the TV off he grabs the remote and screams at me. What in the world?? I've only been letting him watch one 30-minute toddler program (Sesame Street, Wonder Pets, etc.) a day. It's not like this is just what he does all day or something. I think Charlie just morphed into a teenager or something. So, I just decided to blog and ignore him. Maybe he'll fall asleep on the couch. What a weird twelve hours.
On to other things...we had a great weekend. Friday night we had dinner and hang-out time with friends. Saturday night we went to a belated 4th party hosted by one of the NICU nurses. It was a great time! Charlie got to swim in the kiddie pool with the big kids which he loved. He grabbed everyone's attention though when it was time to eat and he just kept walking around looking for food to steal from other people's plates. He managed to "gather" a juice box, several Cheetos, and a cookie. I guess he was stocking up since I don't buy those things for him. Not that I'm Ms. Nutrition or anything but if I buy a bag of Cheetos I'm likely to eat the entire thing myself. Anyway, it just all reminded me how blessed we are that Andy works with amazing people (shout out!!).
Sunday night Andy and I finally had a date night. I have no idea how long it's been since our last date. We went to the Omnimax and saw a film called Hurricane on the Bayou. It's a documentary about saving Louisiana's wetlands. It began filming 3 months before Katrina and many of the people involved lost their homes to the hurricane in the middle of the project. It really focused on the culture of New Orleans and the bayou. It actually made for a great date because we went to New Orleans for our first anniversary. I'm glad that we got to experience it before Katrina but I also hope to go back soon. After the movie, in keeping with our theme, we went to a Louisiana/cajun restaurant. Blackened shrimp...mmmm!
Yesterday Charlie had a hearing test because he's only saying three words. He's said a few more but not on a regular basis. The good news is that his hearing is fine. The bad news is that he has no more excuses for not talking. We'll see what they say at his 18-month checkup. I'm really not worried about it. I think he'll talk when he wants to.
Charlie & Carley had a jumpin' date. We all had a blast!
Charlie rockin' the penny loafers and Mexican wedding shirt.
I searched all over Playa del Carmen for that shirt and I think it paid off.
10 comments:
Let me know how bedtime goes tonight. Who knows what was going on with him . . . what a mystery!
Jennifer
Man, I am sorry! Is he sick? Teething? That sure doesn't seem like Charlie. I hope tonight is better. God has good birth control sometimes :)!!
Charlie's pictures are adorable - I love the Mexican wedding shirt! We are about to have our little guy and reading your stories makes me so excited (usually...maybe not so much the info about the last 12 hours).
Just FYI - my little sister didn't speak until she was two years old. Then one day at a restaruant she said "I want a hamburger" and hasn't stopped talking since.
Hope everything returns to normal very soon!
Hello Charlie. How is our little guy? Granddaddy and Grammy sure have missed you. We've been talking about maybe making a short trip up to Lubbock for a little visit sometime. Amy, did you check all in and around Charlie's crib for any kind of crawling critter that might have scared him? Sometimes strange things do happen, or it's just another level of their development-those life stages hit any time without warning. It just happens. Miss y'all and love you. MOM
Your bigger boy didn't talk until he was two -- and we haven't been able to shut him up since then!
Charlie, can't wait to see you this weekend!
So, you're telling me that the sleepless nights may not be over?! AAAAGH! Hope he's sleeping better soon, for your sake and his!
Those penny loafers are awesome! He is so cute!!
That is no fun. I am sorry. It is so hard to know what to do during those times.
I too love his Mexican wedding shirt & penny loafers- Charlie is adorable! I am sorry you have had some sleepless nights.....he will one day thank you :).
Did Charlie learn how to check your blog AND read?! Why didn't you tell me?! ;)
Post a Comment