Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Great Day

Today was the kind of day that's sadly very rare in our little family. We had a day with just the three of us. Andy worked last night and was able to sleep some so he didn't have to come home and crash for hours on end. Instead we took Charlie to story time at the library and had a picnic at the park. We were in heaven! It was such a great time because Andy's never gotten to take Charlie to story time so he got to see the craziness that I usually have to convince him is true. He got to see the toddlers with their babysitter who gives them full size Airhead taffy bars. He got to see the weird little red-headed girl who always interrupts everything and reminds me of Stewart on MadTV ("Look what I can do!"). Today she sat down by me and said, "I like you." Then she pulled up her shirt and pointed to a freckle on her belly and told me it was a "boo boo." I could tell that the other adults were thinking the same thing that I was: Who's weird kid is this? You need to get her under control.
At this particular story time we sing songs before the readings. Today she busted out the flannel board (yes!!) and used it to sing BINGO. Here we were in the middle of the song when Andy and I had to ruin it with a classic nerd moment. It went like this:

Crowd: "Clap, clap, N, G, O"

Andy & I simultaneously to each other: "Non-governmental organization"

Good grief! Poor Charlie has no idea what's in store for him. We can't even help ourselves from being nerdy.

Anyway, we're road trippin' it to the Metroplex this weekend. Charlie and I are going to visit with Andy's family and take a cousin picture (with seven cousins ages 6 to 7 months--I'll let you know if we pull it off!). Andy's having a "guy's weekend" at the lake with his group of college friends. I had to give him the standard speech for such occasions: "You need to be safe and responsible this weekend because Charlie needs his daddy." Those of you whose husbands are going on this same trip feel free to make the same speech by inserting your children's names. Maybe if we all say it we'll evoke a mob mentality and they actually will be safe and responsible. FYI, I never ask what goes on during these trips. I just try to gather what information I can about various wives and children and then I move on. I have no desire to know who skied naked or what new nicknames were bestowed. Ok, so sometimes I do as long as Andy wasn't involved.

Here's a picture that was taken as a fund raiser for a group at our church.

6 comments:

James M. said...

You will be happy to know that the boats we will have cannot pull skiers.

We will have a fantastic time and Schu will provide all legal advice on any questionable event.

leslie said...

Amy - I'll call you on Monday with any information that I may have gathered. I get nervous about this weekend every year.

Anonymous said...

I just hope they now have the sense to not go out on the lake in a small, inflatable row boat.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I picked up our cousin photos yesterday and your dad and I are still laughing. We decided not only take our free one, but take the funniest ones also, so we can periodicaly laugh just to make some noise in our otherwise quiet home without the laughter of children. I'll let Misti decide which ones to send you and April, and of course Melo. Glad you all had a fun day. Charlie is one lucky little guy to have such a loving and caring father.

April Carrasco said...

That is a cute picture!

James M. said...

April,

I'm glad you remembered that. It always seemed like a good idea. Especially with a kite for a sail.