You Jinxed It!!
To all of you who said "I bet you'll have a laid back baby since you're both so laid back," you should have held your tongue!
Tonight we went out for my birthday and when we got home we found Charlie crying (just as we left him) and Melody (thanks for babysitting--I guess you will never want to again) pretty beat down. He'd been crying the whole time we were gone. No shocker there since he's been crying for the past two weeks. When your pediatrician husband says, "Did you read the chapter on colic?" it's not a good sign. I thought I was sleep deprived in college--that was nothing! That's the reason I'm hardly posting--my brain is barely functioning and I'm only posting now because Andy's "on duty" until the next feeding and then I'm going to bed.
I know there's not much to be done about colic, but for the parents out there, did you deal with this and did you find anything helpful? It just makes me so sad for him and drives me nuts that I can't make it stop. Anyway, Charlie's still precious and wonderful but he sure is having a hard time right now!
9 comments:
The two most laid back children on earth both had colic for about seven weeks (that's Keller and Annaclaire, in case you wondered). Honestly, I think Sam did too but he was hardly laid back. Anyway, you will totally survive this period. My best advice is to plan your day around his crying time. Make sure everything is already done by then so you can just devote yourself to distracting him as best you can - that made it less stressful for me. And then keep trying to find new distractions. Running bathwater, going outside, even watching television all seemed to help with Keller. Annaclaire was completely inconsolable unless I bounced with her in my arms on my exercise ball (don't ask me how I figured that one out) -- turns out they now sell a "colic chair" that is essentially an exercise ball with a base. We danced, we sang, we went on long walks, etc. You just have to know that he will work through all this and so will you!! Hang in there -- you're a great mama!
Happy (late) birthday, by the way!! :)
GOOD JOB WITH CHARLIE!I HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Oh Amy, I am so sorry! I truly feel your pain. Remember those nights at bible study when I was in tears from so much sleep deprivation. At the time it feels eternal. Humphreys and lots of swaddling seemed to sort of help with Kole but unfortunately nothing helps completely. I always hated hearing that it will go by fast but it really does. I just wanted to say come to my house for a couple of hours and see if it goes fast. I just prepared myself for early evening because those seem to be the worse and like someone else suggested walk away sometimes to get your own sanity. I'm thinking of you and I would love to watch Charlie for a couple of hours sometime. Really! You have been there for me before!
Oh, siser. I wish I could help right now. I'll pray for you, Charlie, and Andy. Maybe he just needs a spankin'. :)
Wish I could be there to give you some relief -- rocking and singing and bouncing with Charlie would be soooo much better than these
$#@^%$*&@ TAKS benchmark testing days! Who was that "pediatrician husband" who said, "I think colic is just the old wives' name for something else." Hmmmmm -- maybe he's cutting teeth? :)
I would have been fine with ear plugs. You provide those, and I will babysit again :)
Misti had colic also, and yes you wonder if there will ever be an end to it? There is, but you just have to live through it until then. Just do what the others were saying. Walk and bounce and go outside and swing him. Singing is good also and soothes you at the same time. The other things can be done while you are holding him in the kitchen and the laundry ect. You sleep when he does, if he is sleeping any. Don't do catch up with housework while he is sleeping. When Andy is there, you'll just have to sleep whether it is day or night while Andy is holding him. I can't remember how long it was before Misti finally stopped. Hopefully we'll be there all of spring break, so you will be able to go and get some relaxation time. Love you!
Carley didn't have colic but she had 2 weeks were she was fussy or crying the whole time it felt like. Swaddling helped a lot. The sshhhing sound and trading off with Cody and getting a break helped too. Just going to the store alone helped.
Motherhood has made me feel very inadequate at times but so very blessed. I am so glad to know you feel the same way. It is nice to not be alone in this!
Bring Charlie over. Carley and I are up walking anyway!
Hey Ked,
Hang in there...I obviously don't have any advice here. I'm glad you and Andy had some time to celebrate your birthday. Happy 28th!
Post a Comment