Tuesday, January 31, 2006

LIVE FROM THE WEST TOWER OF UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER...IT'S THE CHARLIE BOWMAN SHOW!!!

That's right folks. I couldn't wait to blog so thank goodness we've got a strong wireless connection in our hospital room! Ok, for those who haven't heard, Charlie arrived at 3:39 pm yesterday (that's Mon. Jan. 30). He's of course the most precious thing in the world! He's very snuggly and when he tries to feed he squeals and snorts like a little piglet and I can't help but laugh. He looks like Andy and he has reddish blonde hair that will probably darken.
Anyway, here it goes:
5:00 am Monday: Ugh...I hate getting up to go to the bathroom all the time! When will this end? Two seconds later, gush...ugh...I think my water broke. Well, Andy's up at the hospital at work anyway, maybe I'll just get cleaned up and then call him. Shower, shave, pack, eat a little something, call Andy, "Uh, hi. It's me." Andy, "You're not usually up at 5:30." Amy, "I know. I think my water just broke." Andy, "Ok, I'm headed home to get you."
5:30: Andy gets home, "Let's go." Amy, "Wait, I want to dry my hair. It's cold outside." Andy, "Ugh, just so you know, pediatricians don't like to wait very long to get the baby out after the water breaks." Amy, "Oh, ok. I guess we can go."
6:15: Arrive at labor & delivery. "My water broke." "Ok. Rooms 4&5 are the big ones. Pick which one you want." Sweet.

This is when I quickly lose track of time.
"You're 2cm, 70%, and oh, your OB's out of town. Let's start pitocin." OK.
"Ok, let's go ahead and put in the epidural." Great! "Ugh...that first one wasn't in right. Ugh...that second one went in a vein." Picture Andy about to freak out on the resident anesthesiologist. "Ah...this one's in." Excellent!
God, thank you for creating epidurals.
Sometime later...you're right there...let's prep the room. In swarm the l&d prep nurses like ninjas. Oh my goodness! We're really doing this!
Ok, you're ready to push..."good Amy, that's perfect" (Obviously! Like I would underachieve!)
Sometime 2 HOURS LATER!..."We need to get him out. Let's use the vacuum." Fine with me. Just get him out for goodness sakes!! Blah, blah, blah...he's here!!! Oh my gosh! We have a Charlie!!
The ninjas descend again and everything gets cleaned up. Time to get in the wheelchair and go upstairs to our corner suite with hardwoods and cherry furniture. Sit in the chair. OH MY GOSH!! The epidural has worn off! What is that insane pain?! Oh no! World War III just happened down south and there's nothing left but total devistation!

So that's the skeleton account. What an insane and cool experience. For those of you ladies who go all-natural, there must be a special place in heaven that will give you free painkillers for eternity!

Ok, I don't have my camera cord here so I can't post my pictures yet, but you can see a few on my sister's blog at melodyannforest@blogspot.com.
Don't freak out. Charlie really is super cute. You know how the newborn pictures go sometimes though!

Thanks to everyone for all of your prayers! God answered them with a healthy, precious baby boy: Charles Andrew Bowman, Born Jan. 30, 2006, 6 lbs. 12 oz., 20 in.

25 comments:

Ashley said...

Awww. I am so happy for you! I'm glad you had a great experience and I cannot wait to see Charlies face plastered all over your blog everyday!! Love you girlie!

Sue said...

AHHHHHHH! I'm freaking out excited for you!

Anonymous said...

He's so precious!! From the photos we've seen, we REALLY think he looks like Keller did as a newborn - now wouldn't that be crazy? But with newborns each photo looks totally different! Hope you get some rest and heal quickly - I know you probably are just holding him and staring at him all day (and night) long. :) Wish I could come hold him - Scot and Sam are heading out in a few days, so hopefully they can get some good snuggle time in for Aunt Kasey. Love you guys!!

April Carrasco said...

OK, I really can't believe you are blogging from your hospital room. I loved meeting Charlie today. He is precious!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I'm so glad everything went smoothly! Thanks for letting me cuddle your son for a bit tonight!! He is PERFECT!!!

Lynn said...

"A boy is all God has to make a man." What a lucky boy to have such special parents. I know you are excited and it's all a blur now. I am sure you know that life will never be the same. But, in a good way. Hope to meet him someday. Keep us posted. Mel did great getting pics. Love to all.
Lynn

Katie said...

What a blessing this child will be for you two! Delight in the promise of Proverbs 23:24

"The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him."

I can't wait to meet your precious son1

Katherine said...

Congratulations Andy & Amy...and welcome to the world, little Charlie!! I am so happy for you two-may God bless you and your new precious addition! Love ya~

Jennifer K said...

I am so excited for your new family!! I love the pictures and can't wait to meet him. You are going to be the best mom. :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Amy! Your birthing post was completely awesome.......what awesome news that your precious baby boy is finally here! I hope your recovery is super speedy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Andy and Charlie,
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy. We are sooooo relieved that part is over, now comes all the gushin' and gaw-gaws and goo-goos and a gazillion-billion pictures. Ready for another one yet? We hope Charlie will like Indian food...Love to all. Betty and Vasant and Joseph

leslie said...

YAY!!! I love the play by play you gave us. And way to go on keeping totally calm when your water broke! I was freaking out!! You're such a good Mommy already! I can't wait to see more pictures. He is totally cute.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! What a great post. I'm amazed that you blogged from the HOSPITAL! You are a true blerd (that's a blog nerd). Ken and I have been wetting our pants waiting to talk to you!!! We can't wait to see you all- but ost of all Carley and Charlie- and give hugs and kisses! Free Saturday? We may jet in..

Holly O'Quinn said...

We are so happy for your little family, and I'm so glad that Charlie has a fluffy nose! Congrats and we love you guys!

Love, Jason and Holly

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you should all be jealous cause I get to play with him everyday!! AHHH!!! I love this baby!!!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie

So precious is his life
Such an innocent soul,
To be nurtured and loved
A responsibility to uphold.
Charlie's Mommy and Daddy
And his entire family,
Must encourage and strengthen
His lifetime abilities.
Teach him to know God
Teach him right from wrong,
To be good and to be kind
Give him courage to remain strong.
He can already feel
The love that surrounds him,
Heartwarming moments
Filled to the brim.
Gentle caresses
Loving hearts,
Smiles and admirations
For Charlie from the very start.
Welcome to our world
You sweet little guy,
When you are ready for answers
We'll be there to tell you why.
But for now just enjoy
Your Mommy's and Daddy's love,
As you are wonderfully blessed
From your Heavenly Father above.

Anonymous said...

KAREN...YOU KILL ME!!!!
Siser, my kids were totally upset that they didn't get to help you have your baby. I showed them pictures. They think Charlie "looks funny". I also had to explain what an umbilical cord is. They think it's totally cool that Andy is a doctor. They also taught me that Charlie is my sobrino (nephew).

Ashley said...

I loved meeting Charlie yesterday. He is so cute. I hope you continue to feel better and that things keep going well with Charlie. The Nelsons want to come see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I saw a great "onesie" (is this the correct spelling?) the other day. It said "my dad is a geek!" and I thought of Andy.

I am so happy the l&d went well. I am about to "wet my pants" * in anticipation for Jake. I hope Charlie and Jake are roomies at ACU. My boy, if anything like me, will need a tutor. I can't wait to tell Jake someday how Charlie's Dad tutored me to an "A" in masters level Finance.

*=sourced from Shanta Murray, Doctor of Jurisprudence, Bowman West Blog, Feb. 31, 2006, the year of our Lord.

JO

Anonymous said...

Seriously Karen...you kill me

Anonymous said...

ummmm it is http://melodyannforest.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Charlie's finally here!! We can't wait to come meet him.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bowman family!! I can't wait to go look at the pictures! I hope you recover quickly from "WW3"!! Blessings to each of you!

melissa deaver said...

Congratulations Amy!! Can't wait to see more pictures of him!

Anonymous said...

Great name for a kid! Maybe he'll grow up to be a banjo picking ruby programmer!