Monday, November 28, 2005

Family Differences

I see that everyone has posted about their Thanksgiving meals, so I'd like to say a few things about mine. I'm including pictures of some past Christmas dinners for illustrations. I know it's not Christmas yet, but the meals are nearly identical to the Thanksgiving ones so it'll work.


Ok, let's take a look at what we have here. The picture on the left is of the traditional Forest dinner. We don't put much effort into making things look nice because (1) We don't like washing dishes, and (2) As long as it tastes good we're happy. A few things to note: It's inappropriate to mash up the cranberries after sliding them from the can. Just dump it in the bowl and leave it in the shape of the can. Also, if you move your attention to the top of the picture, to the left of the sweet potatoes, you will note a unique item--the black olives stuffed with spray cheese. Sometime in childhood we were messing around with the spray cheese and we came up with the treat. It stuck and now it's here forever. Outsiders are fearful of this dish but the Forests love it. Just deal, ok?

Now, the picture to the left is of the Bowman meal. Equally excellent but different from the Forest meal. Note the china and Rosepoint glasses. We also have "green rice" which is the rice, cheese, and broccoli casserole. There's also a nice layered Jello dessert. There's "burned beans" which is green bean casserole. The Bowmans have their own names for things, which is at first difficult to learn, but I've been around for a while so I know most of the language. They also have "Christmas Soup", which is stew (and very good) from what I can tell. There are also "pink things" which are little raspberry treats. This is just the tip of the ice berg, but I'll use the special names with glee--you know why? 'Cause the food is awesome and so is the company! I'm part of the club and I speak the language!

My last story: The first Thanksgiving Andy and I had after we were married was at his parent's house (actually at his sister's family's house). I was a little sad because I missed my family. Andy walked in with a grocery sack containing...wait for it...black olives and spray cheese! He wanted me to feel more at home. I got teary-eyed and commenced to making my cheese-stuffed olives. The bad part was when I actually had to show up at his sister's house with my dish and everyone thought I was insane. It was good times anyway and just another event to prove how wonderful my sweet husband is!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello There! Thanks for sharing! It is quite a difference, but fun to see it and hear about it. Yes, you can tell we are a little bit country, so does that make the Bowmans a little bit rock & roll? Just wondering! Love those Bowmans! Ever since our first meeting in Arlington and such a wonderful dinner! Let's see! Was it the fall of 1996? So looking forward to the baby shower on the 10th. and seeing all the wonderful Bowmans again. How could they be anything but, afterall there is Andy and I rest my case!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok Amy!!!

You must have forgotten all of the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners that you had at your Forest grandparents where we used china, silver and real cloth napkins.

Anonymous said...

I remember!!!!! :) Actually...I just remember the food. Imagine that...I was a fat kid :) BUT I LOVED IT and wouldn't have it ANY other way!!!
MMmmmmm.....FOOD....

Amy said...

AA--I do remember--and I hated doing the dishes afterwards! Luckily my China can go in the dishwasher!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, that was the best post ever. I'll never try your tasty treat, but I give you 10 points for creativity.