Monday, October 17, 2005

Telling Secrets

This weekend was ACU homecoming and our 5-year class reunion. It was really great seeing so many people. I just wish we could have stayed longer because I definitely get homesick for ACU!
Andy & I were blessed to stay at the Mayo's and get to visit with James, Leslie, & Kaitlyn (who is SO awesome and funny!). One thing I had to do though was let Leslie in on some of my secrets so things wouldn't be awkward. So, just to clear things up and save time for when I force myself into your gracious accommodations, here are a few of my secrets:

(1) Because of an unfortunate encounter with an enormous blood clot a few years ago, I now have to give myself a daily shot. So, if I'm staying at your house and you find a syringe in your trash I'm not shooting anything illegal--I have a prescription. Don't worry--it's just during pregnancy and it's not that bad. This is an easy one and relatively invisible.

(2) The not-so-invisible one might freak people out a little. I have obstructive sleep apnea--what is that? When I sleep, my airway closes and I stop breathing. It causes me to wake myself up every 2-5 minutes or so to take a breath--not a very good sleep pattern! I was diagnosed in February after Andy pressured my doctor to order a sleep test. Andy was pretty sure I had it and my doctor totally doubted it since I don't fit the normal profile. Well, my smart husband was right--severe sleep apnea. We're going to get it checked out after the baby's born--I've been told I have a small airway or something.
So, lucky me gets to sleep with what I call "my breather." The real name is Continuous positive Airway Pressure (CPAP for short--an unfortunate acronym, hence my nickname for it). I wear a mask when I sleep that's connected to tubing, connected to the machine that pumps pressurized air into my nose. This acts like a stint to keep my airway open. I know what you're thinking--"It must be sexy!". Exactly! It helps me sleep better but is a major hassle sometimes, like when (1) I'm pregnant and have to get up several times at night to use the restroom (2) I'll have a newborn and have to get up for feedings (3) we want to rough it and tent camp but I have to plug my breather into something. To prepare you further, to the right is what I look like with my mask on--if my head was made out of weird dark glass.


Anyway, if I ever stay at your house and set up my "hospital room" (as Leslie called it) in your living room or guest room, don't freak out. I'll just be the friend with the totally random and unexplained medical issues. Just don't be jealous 'cause I have sweet headgear and you don't!

10 comments:

April Carrasco said...

That picture is freakin hilarious! I'm like peeing in my pants right now. I'm sorry for all the little medical issues that make you oh so special.

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

The mask is too funny...a little like Darth Vader! And the shots too. You are one tough woman! :-)But I am sure that you agree...it's all worth it!!

leslie said...

That blog (especially the picture) made me laugh out loud.
You're awesome - you can turn our guest room into a hospital room anytime.

Anonymous said...

Amy- you are an adorable pregnant one! I loved Leslie's pics of the weekend- you definitely have the happy pregnant "glow." I really admire you doing those shots- I had a friend in Raleigh who had blood clot issues too, so she did them every day.......that baby boy is blessed to have you taking good care of him!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy- that was a classic post. One of my favorites. And, I hear Andy has a thing for sweet headgear, so lucky you! I immensely enjoyed staring at you over chocolate mousse on Saturday night. You're still hot. :)

Thanks for filling my cup! We are looking forward to many more laughs in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

You're a dork

Katie said...

That is too funny! Anytime tyou need to reveal these secrets at our house you are more than welcome! It was super to see you this weekend! Seeing you and Andy was definitely a highlight!

Ashley said...

I am very excited to share a room with you on the retreat. You are too much!

Jenny said...

Amy,

Your blog is so refreshing and hilarious. I forgot how your sense of humor cracks me up.

Brett

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow. That is pretty scary. Kudos on your courage to share it with the world.