Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Saved by a Chick-Fil-A Napkin

It seems like our Charlie thinks he’s pretty hot stuff these days. Some days I seriously think about listing him on Craigslist [Little Naughty 3-Year-Old Needs a More Patient Mother – can deliver]. Yesterday was one of those days. Charlie woke up in a fury, like he does most days, jumping on my bed, barking loudly pretending to be a puppy, harassing me about “private parts” and being all touchy while I’m trying to get dressed – just to name a few of his current quirks. After spending all morning trying to get bills paid, our calendar sorted out, paperwork organized, etc. we were both ready for a break. I suggested we head for Chick-Fil-A, envisioning a relaxing lunch followed by plenty of play time and a worn-out nap-taking Charlie. I might not be able to see Andy on our anniversary (he was working all day and night) but at least I could enjoy our offspring and get all sappy about it. So after wrestling Charlie into some decent clothes and getting him into the car we headed off.
When we arrived the crowd wasn’t too bad and it was a fundraising day for a group that supports military families, so we donated a dollar and got to spin the wheel for a free food item. We landed on hash browns, and although I really wanted a milkshake I never scoff at a fried potato product. We ordered our food and sat down at a booth. It all started off fine but rapidly declined when the lunchtime crowd grew and the fundraising efforts escalated as an employee took it upon herself to continually yell and ring a cowbell and be generally obnoxious. It was chaotic.
While all this was happening in the background Charlie engaged in his usual display of horrible table manners, continually standing in his seat, jumping around, crawling under the table, chasing flies around the room, etc. He used to do great at restaurants but now it’s always a toss-up. This time was not working in my favor. I warned him once that if he didn’t sit nicely and eat his chicken he wouldn’t get to play on the playground. Of course he ignored me and I had to inform him that we were going straight home when we finished our lunch. When it got to the point that we (I) needed to be done I started to load his french fry crumbs and bits of chicken onto the tray to go to the trash. Charlie proceeded to grab the fries, dump them on the table and fling them around. Trying to keep my cool I grabbed them back and put them on the tray. Then he grabbed a piece of chicken and threw it against the wall. LORD HAVE MERCY! Craigslist, here we come! I kindly escorted Charlie to the restroom where my hand explained to his bottom why his actions were unacceptable. [And I'm theoretically anti-spanking. UGH!!]
Now Charlie was beside himself that he would be punished for just doing whatever he pleases and he entered full blown tantrum mode. All I could think was…EVACUATE! I quickly cleaned up our table and walked to the trashcan. As I was walking, a man sitting next to us handed me a folded napkin. I thought, “What a patronizing jerk. I’ve already cleaned everything up. What, does he think I can’t handle this or something?” As I gave him a puzzled look he said, “You might want to look inside.” For a second I thought there better be money in there since that’s the only thing that would make it better. With my hands full and still wrangling my screaming kid I opened the napkin…

You’re a great mom! Keep up the good work.


Wow. Mr. Man, whoever you are, you have no idea how much I needed that! I quickly said thanks, threw my stuff away (accidentally tossing the napkin in with it right in front of the guy – oops!) and headed outside. It was because of that napkin and ONLY that napkin that I didn’t shove Charlie in the next minivan that approached the drive thru saying, “You can keep him.” So Charlie, you now owe your life to a guy who cared enough to scribble a message on a Chick-Fil-A napkin and hand it to a much frazzled mom. You should thank him.

_______________________________________________
And Happy Anniversary to my main man! I don't think I could have designed a better partner for myself if I tried -- God sure knew what He was doing! I mean, there is the small issue of Andy's perpetual underwear pile under the bedroom mirror instead of in the dirty clothes but I'm horrible at doing laundry anyway so it all evens out. Andy is crazy smart, hard-working, loyal, trustworthy, HOT!, funny, snuggly, loving, kind, respectful, and all-around wonderful. I hardly know why he even puts up with me most of the time. It's certainly not for my housekeeping skills! It must be for my superior travel-planning and packing skills. Whatever it is, I'm blessed to be married to a wonderful husband and father. I hope Charlie grows up to be exactly like him!


14 comments:

The von Minden Family said...

WOW...God does work in mysterious ways!!!....

The Wilsons in Georgia said...

OK . . . you just made a pregnant woman cry! That was the sweetest man ever. If he had handed that napkin to me I would have started crying on the spot and sat down next to him and said, "so you really think I'm doing o.k.?" Ha! I've had days like that too . . . where you just try to get out of the house to keep from going crazy and then your offspring decides to be a stinker no matter where you go : ) Hang in there and Happy Anniversary!

Wendy said...

If Charlie and Casen ever meet, they will get along great. Some very similar personalities, I'm thinking. A couple weeks ago I had a discipline situation in the middle of a Wal-Mart parking lot, and afterwards, an older man drove up, rolled down his window and complimented me on how I handled it, and it totally made my day. It's amazing how far a little affirmation of your parenting skills will go toward maintaining sanity!

Carolyn said...

Well, I am not pregnant but that story still made me cry. What a sweet note at just the right time. Then I laughed about you throwing the note away in front of Mr. Man, so thanks for that to stop the tears! :-)

April L. said...

That's a lesson to us all to look for very quick and simple ways to encourage others...the whole "pay it forward" idea. I love your wedding picture! Y'all look like babies.

Becky R. said...

Look at you two! You make such a great couple. That was a great story about chick-fil-a, I always wonder what other people think of me when Lincoln is throwing a fit about whatever. You are a great mom!

mom24bows said...

Hm-m-m-m-m- Guess I oughta start checking Craigslist more frequently! I'd come pick up my prize!

Ashley said...

I am glad the napkin saved Charlie! Still can't believe the state of TX let two 12 year olds get married. You guys look so young!!!!11

Jenny Rizer said...

Wow, what an awesome man! Brought tears to my eyes too until I read about you throwing it away in front of him! I agree with April, it makes me want to think of ways to encourage others also...especially moms. We've all been there! The Craigslist idea is a classic as well! :) Happy Anniversary....I'm so glad I could help you and Andy hook up! :) It's awesome to read how much you love your hubby....

Taylor Family said...

Happy Anniversary. What a kind gesture that man gave! Wouldn't it be nice if more people did that instead of stare at you and judge you in those situations. I have to agree with him, you are a good mom! Keep it up.

melissa deaver said...

Happy Anniversary! And I love your crazy Charlie stories!

Grammy and Granddaddy said...

A long visit from Charlie would be deeply appreciated to DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!

Christine said...

That is very kind of you to offer free delivery! What a sweet man with the napkin. That is so great that people still take the time to do that.

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

Happy belated Anniversary! What an awesome story. One that most mom's need to read!!! It's strange to me how your 3-yr old sounds an awful lot like a 2 1/2-yr old girl I know really well.