Saturday, April 18, 2009

Catching Up

This morning I sat down on the couch and found a receipt for a pepperoni sub and a diet coke purchased at 1:45 this morning from a gas station two hours from our house. While that might seem weird to you, I know that it means Andy just needed a pick-me-up on his run with the transport team to pick up preemie twins. He got home around 8:00 last night, grabbed a bowl of cereal, we teamed up on Charlie's bath, then he got paged during story time. Off Andy went to meet the team to go get the twins. I'm guessing he got back home sometime around 4:00 am. I halfway woke up when he showered and changed to go back to the hospital around 7:00 am, so by my estimations he got about three hours of sleep on the couch before heading back to work this morning. Crazy. Including last week, he'll be working four weeks straight with no days off, and unlike me he never complains. I just wish he could have a golf weekend with the guys or something. Instead, the only "break" he has in sight are two big conferences coming up in May, which aren't really breaks because he's stressing about getting presentations done. I'm proud of how hard he works and I'm very thankful that he loves what he's doing. It sure would be horrible if he didn't!

In other news, last week my twin sister April and her baby girl Riley were here for their spring break. We had such a great time! Riley has got to be the most animated 13-month-old I've ever seen. She's so independent and knows exactly what she wants, but at the same time she's very sweet and cuddly and loves to laugh and be silly. It's hilarious to think about who she'll grow up to be. One could say that April had (has!) a pretty strong, independent personality (READ: Type-A) of her own. I think Riley's going to be just like her. I can't wait until she's a teenager -- what's that they say about payback, April?! We had great sister time and I loved getting to snuggle and get to know Riley better. Charlie and Riley got along great. It was so funny because they're both really cuddly and just kept hugging and snuggling each other. I wish we lived down the street from each other instead of nine hours away, but our husbands are probably thankful for the distance! :) Anyway, we had fun showing them around Cville, including trips to our favorite restaurants and of course Monticello. They'll be back in June with my two other sisters and niece and nephew for our second annual cousin camp. It's going to be CRAZY cramming everyone into our townhouse but I can't wait. Good times!

Playing dress-up...

Enjoying a beautiful day at Monticello






















Giant baby attacking Monticello














Riley didn't approve of these French guys napping on Thomas Jefferson's lawn!


















Everyone loves some Christian's Pizza!! This is Riley and me ;)

6 comments:

The von Minden Family said...

God has blessed you and Charlie with an amazing husband/daddy. Not too many people show that much compassion for their jobs...Way to go Andy...Those sick babies are lucky to have a great Dr. like you in their lives:)

I can't wait to snuggle with Charlie and Riley when we come in June!

Melody Forest McKee said...

Who are you trying to fool with the last picture? Anywho...I can't WAIT until June!!!!!! And then NEXT summer will be even crazier with atleast 1 more baby ;)

April L. said...

That's one cute puppy who looks just like his mommy in that picture. We had a great time...minus the ear infection. THANKS, Siser!!!

Taylor Family said...

Are you sure that's you in the last picture? I'm so glad I was able to meet April and Riley!

Shanta said...

Busted. I'm so glad I know the difference! Y'all are pretty good looking, though.

Jenny Rizer said...

Remember our freshman year when I made you and April come in my room with towels on your head cause I was sure I could tell you apart....then I blew it?!! :) Well, I DO know the difference now...you didn't fool me for a sec! Glad ya'll had so much fun together...I wish so bad we could have a girls weekend together again. I miss you kids! And I'm super proud of your hubby and his attitude and YOU and how much you support him eventhough it leaves you being a single mom alot. It's encouraging....