Monday, May 07, 2007

Can I put this in my syllabus?

Well, the semester is over and after reading many papers I've decided that if I could put anything in my syllabus for next semester it would include the following:

1. If you text message during class I will rip the cell phone from your hand and smash it against the wall.
2. Should you feel the need to refer to Asian individuals as "chinamen" in your sociology paper you will receive an automatic F. Should you go further and misspell it as "chainmen" you will be dismissed from the university.

3. If in your final sociology paper you refer to African Americans as being "butt hurt" by racism you will be covered with honey and left on the lawn for the fire ants.

4. If you use the term "espanic" instead of "Hispanic" you will receive an automatic F. If you actually think this is the correct term to use you will be sent back to junior high school.

5. If you choose to cover your head with your sweatshirt, lay your head down and go to sleep during class be prepared to get hit by flying objects.


I actually had a really great class this semester but some things never cease to amaze me!


In other news, Charlie almost had his hand taken off by our cedar chest this week. The chest has a very heavy lid with a button latch. We heard the lid slam and Charlie scream and rushed to open the lid but the latch wouldn't budge. It seemed like forever that he was standing there with his little hand trapped. We finally got it out and Andy plunged his hand into ice water. That was the worst part! He cried for a few minutes until he spotted his plastic golf set. We didn't hear another complaint after that! He was a lot braver than we were. I had flashbacks all night.

Charlie discovered the joy of ranch dressing this week.

We tried to get Charlie to play in the sprinkler but he just wanted to dig up my flower beds and show the dirt to his daddy. These are his two swimsuits. He looks like a big boy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet baby!!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I totally think you should use those things in your syllabus. Agh, the nerve of some people!!

Isn't it awful when we see our kids hurt. I sure panic! I love the picture of him sitting in his yellow swim trunks.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Charlie's hand is ok!

I love the pictures of Charlie in his swimsuits.

Anonymous said...

whoops!!! I forgot to put my name on the comment:)

Anonymous said...

How did Charlie manage to push the button to get the cedar chest open? I always had a hard time getting it open. He must be a strong little boy. I keep forgetting to give you the key so you can lock it. I am glad his little hand is ok. He looks like such a big boy in his swimsuit.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That makes me excited for our future leaders. Good Luck with that!

Charlie is so cute. I love the swimsuits. He is getting so big!

Anonymous said...

Bless his little buttons! I'm so sorry about his little hand, but how attitudes change at the sight of a golf bag! I know it hurt you worse than him -- just wait until you leave him at the donut store on Sunday morning!

I've decided that the only differences between your students and mine is that (1) yours can drive and (2) their parents pay good money for them to take a nap!
I vote for YOUR version of the syllabus!

Anonymous said...

On a similar note, here's something else I don't understand about school. Yesterday during one of my finals several people thought it would be funny to make snickering comments at instructions that the professor was giving. I guess they thought it was "cool" to talk back? When others were asked to move and spread out....nothing. He had to ask 3 more times before they did anything. And last but not least, there was a cell phone incident! One kid had his cell phone ring 4 different times. I understand the first one...turn it off, no harm done. But he didn't turn it off and it rang three more times throughout the test. Nothing was said to him! I would've thrown him out would it have been me giving the test.
The sad thing is that this wasn't the first time this has happened. I have had similar experiences in other finals.
Has that much changed in the 10 years since i graduated high school or is it my time in the military that has giving me a different mindset? It seems like kids are losing any sense of common courtesy and discipline not to mention what your experiencing, lack of intelligence. Scary!

April Carrasco said...

Wow! LCU brings up some bright ones, let me tell you. That is hilarious, but sad all at the same time. Did you see that there will probably be something added to the syllabus next year regarding the problems we have had with cell phones.

Thanks for adding precious pictures of Charlie after this encouraging post :)!!

Lynn said...

It amazes me that "students" who supposedly are there to further their education are so openly rude and immature. I guess it is true that college is NOT for everyone. Even college students should have conduct grades on their "report cards". I am afraid that I would be dismissed as an instructor after going into a rage with the hooded napping student! AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am thinking homeschool more all the time! If I had it to over again anyway. Charlie is absolutely precious and growing like a Texas weed.