Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm Officially Nocturnal

I can't sleep. Not because I'm uncomfortable or something, but because I just can't sleep when I'm supposed to. My new schedule is 2:00 am to 11:00 am. That's pretty weird. I think it may have something to do with the amount of room that I now require in the bed, and since Andy gets up at 5:30 that gives me a lot of time with the bed to myself. I'm not about to ask Andy to sleep in another room, and I'm not leaving my bed, so that's that. It's amazing how much I get done in the middle of the night. Last night I worked on Charlie's room, did laundry, caught up on bills, etc. If I could I would paint my office and hang curtains, but I would get in trouble when Andy woke up the next morning and saw it.

What else? Well, I now feel like I'm the healthiest, most medicalized person I know. I now get to give myself two shots of heparin a day, which I have to draw up myself, making me feel like an IV drug user. I have to check my glucose 4 times a day with a finger stick. There's the pill with every meal plus my regular prescriptions at night. Let's not forget sleeping with the mask. It's pretty strange. I suppose if I felt sick or something it would be less annoying, but at least most of it will go away when Charlie gets here and it's worth it. Yesterday, while waiting at the pharmacy, I got to sit in a massage chair. I may go back there today just to sit in the chair. Would that be inappropriate? Anyway, Charlie was really freaked out by the chair and went crazy. I'm going to miss carrying him around with me all the time because he makes me laugh.

I'm 36 weeks now--4 more Wednesdays! Of course, anywhere from 38-42 weeks is fullterm, so let's hope for a (perfectly healthy) 38 weeker! Considering my doc said last week that he was guessing that Charlie was already 6 lbs...let's PRAY for a 38 weeker!

One more thing. Melody (my little sis) moved in with two roommates literally two houses down and across the street from us. This is SO great! Babysitters! I found out though that college guys live next door to them (we moved to this neighborhood to get away from the college students!) and one of them was one of my students last semester. He was always trying to get special consideration because he missed a lot of class due to the fact that he always had to work late at the liquor store. Judging by the smell of his roommate who helped move the heavy stuff yesterday, I would say that he regularly visits the liquor store as well! Great!

4 comments:

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

4 more Wednesdays! I can't believe it!! Good job on getting a lot of things done...I can't wait to see Charlie's nursery!

Anonymous said...

Ken and I were just commenting on our way to church last night that Charlie is almost here! WOW. Please post a current pic of you so we can print this one out for the scrapbook. (I know you LOVE scrapbooks) And I don't think it's inappropriate for you to revisit the massage chair. Who's going to question a pregnant lady about needing a massage? Soak up the pampering for as long as possible!!

Sue said...

See if you can get some free liquor from your neighbors!

Lynn said...

Amy, I can't even imagine how cute you must look! When I was pregnant with Heather ( oh so many years ago ) I was probably about your size prior. I gained 45 pregnancy pounds! The guys at work said I looked like a volkswagen with legs. GEE that made me feel good. Anyway, I did lose the weight that time so don't panic. Just a heads up (excuse the pun) but you do realize that your precious little body will never be the same! Consider it better! I look so forward to the day when Charlie has his first picture on the blog. Love you,
Lynn